3 cups frozen (thawed) or fresh fruit
4 tsp Ball Instant Pectin
1. Place the fruit into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
4. Blend for about 30 seconds or until the fruit is well blended and completely smooth.
5. Turn the machine off and remove lid.
6. Add the pectin and replace the lid.
7. Select Variable 1.
8. Turn machine on and increase speed to Variable 3.
9. Blend for 3 minutes.
10. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or a mason jar for 3-4 days.
Food Tip: Some fruits can cause severe allergies. It is wise to wait until a baby is at least 12 months old to try fruits like strawberries and avocados. Be sure to test them in small amounts for about a week. This recipe works well with a meal, as a snack or as a dessert for those restricted to a pureed diet. You can also blend this with a portion of applesauce. Babies and those on pureed diets can have a hard time with strong flavors.
Time Tip: Thaw any frozen fruit to be used in the refrigerator overnight for quick processing the next day.
Money Tip: When fruits are in season you can save lots of money by cleaning, preparing and freezing them yourself. Bananas are not seasonal but you can save money by peeling and freezing the “freckled” ones before they go bad and end up in the trash. Have fun experimenting with whatever fruit you have and nothing will go to waste.
Footnote: It is summer time and I have tried this recipe with fresh peaches and nectarines. For some reason the instant fruit pectin is not thickening it as with other fruits. I will continue to work on other ways of thickening these and add a separate blog entry. I am not in the habit of giving up so keep your eye on this blog for “Peach and Nectarine Fruit Pudding.