½ cup all purpose flour
½ cracked wheat or whole wheat flour
¼ cup oat flour
¼ cup quinoa flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1¼ cup of milk (any kind)
3 tablespoons melted butter
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine eggs and milk in the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable1.
- Turn machine on and blend for 3 seconds.
- Turn machine off and remove lid.
- Add in dry ingredients and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Increase speed to Variable 3 and blend for 10 seconds.
- Turn off machine and remove lid.
- Add the melted butter and secure lid.
- Select Variable1.
- Increase speed to Variable 3 and blend for 5 seconds.
- Set the batter aside for 5 minutes to allow it to thicken (liquids take time to soak trough the brand of whole grains).
- Pour batter directly from the Vitamix container onto an electric griddle preheated to 350 degrees or a standard griddle over a medium to medium high heat.
Food Tip: The combination of flours makes these pancakes light and full of flavor. Maple syrup adds the finishing touch but you won’t want to use much. They are also great straight out of the toaster plain. The whole grain flours are a great source of fiber and protein.
Money Tip: Homemade pancakes take a little more time and effort than pre-made batters but they are far less expensive (not to mention they taste so much better). Frozen prepackaged pancakes may be a quick grab but they are even more expensive than the pre-made batters (Again, taste is an issue).
Time Tip: Pre-grind a portion of your whole grains into flour and keep on hand for quick addition/substitution to your favorite recipes. Making these pancakes with a mixer takes a lot longer and pouring directly from the Vitamix container saves time on clean up. Keep the leftovers (if there are any) in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for 3-5 days but trust me, they will not last that long. You can also double the recipe and freeze the extras in stacks of 4 in a Ziploc Freezer bag.